Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ask To See All Estimates From The Sub Contractors

You'll be amazed at how much work you will need to do when having your house built. There is a ton of paperwork you'll need to review. Ask your general contractor for copies of all of their estimates from subcontractors.

This will do a couple things for you. First, it can save you money. My general contractor got estimates from his sub contractors, then marked them up and put them into our estimate. He then had his line item markup of all hard materials on top of that. So yes, he's double marking up his costs. Good for him, bad for us.

Next you will be able to review these sub contractor estimates and make sure everything is included. I've had numerous costs in my estimate that the general contractor just through in there as a wild ass guess. I'll then end up meeting with a sub to pick pick finishes (for example) and find out that the sub never gave my general contractor any estimate for those finishes. If I would have reviewed this beforehand myself I would have been able to make him clarify his estimate before I signed off on it and had to take on a large change order.

No comments: